As per the Rutgers-Newark Catalog, students who wish to file a complaint about a course grade are urged to:
(1) Attempt to resolve the matter through discussion with the Instructor. If the issue cannot be satisfactorily resolved between student and instructor, the student may proceed with option 2.
A student who wishes to appeal the decision of the department should appeal in writing to the appropriate dean’s office. Written notification of the action taken by either the chair or the dean is sent to the student within four weeks of the filing of the appeal, excluding those weeks in which classes are not in regular session.
All appeals, at the department and the decanal level, should contain the following information:
- The course number and section, semester, and instructor’s name
- An explanation of the grounds for the appeal
- A copy of the course syllabus and any other course information on the assignment or grading in question
- The materials at issue – the graded exam or assignment
- Any and all email or other written exchange you have had with the instructor and/or department about the issue
If you are unsure about who the appropriate department chair, program director, or dean’s office is for the course you are referencing, please use the following websites:
School of Arts and Sciences – https://sasn.rutgers.edu/staff-directory/all
School of Public Affairs & Administration – https://spaa.newark.rutgers.edu/directory
Criminal Justice – https://crimjust.rutgers.edu/people/staff
Rutgers Business School – https://www.business.rutgers.edu/faculty-research/faculty-profiles